Our First Home – The Old Fayette County Courthouse

On November 20, 2004 – The Lexington Public Service Museum opened downstairs in the old Fayette County Courthouse, which served the community since 1898.  Our time there lasted until July 2012 when lead paint, asbestos and mold caused the building to be closed.   All exhibits in the museum were secured and put in mothballs.

The building also hosted the Lexington History Museum, the Kentucky Renaissance Pharmacy Museum and for a few years, the Isaac Hathaway Museum.

Since the closing, the LPSM is seeking new quarters to honor the public servants of Lexington and Fayette County. As a registered 501c3 charitable organization – any donation of space will bring tax exemptions and community notoriety.

The Lexington Public Safety Museum officially opened at 1:00 pm on Saturday November 20, 2004.  Mayor Teresa Isaac and Public Safety Commissioner Rebecca Langston helped cut the ribbon, which was actually Police Crime Scene tape. There were approximately 100 people who came through the museum on opening day.


Museum President David Hume of the Lexington Public Safety Museum and Mayor Teresa Isaac cut the ribbon on opening day.












One of our first guests, Bob Sanders in November of 2004.
The Rotation of Badges that we had on our first web site.

Before we get started, here is the rotation of Badges that we had on our first web site up in the top left corner.

Some Welcoming Faces: 


Museum Volunteer  Mindy Rockwell


Board Member Robert Terry in a 1960′s Lexington Police Uniform stationed at the volunteer desk during the first anniversary celebration.


Museum Treasurer Steve Ferrell manning the volunteer desk under the watchful eye of former Fayette County Police Officer Sonny Page.

 Our First Anniversary:


We outgrew this room very quickly and opened up two more rooms down the hallway.

Museum President David Hume surrounded by family, November 2005.


Brent and Kathy Hume inspecting the photos.


Part of the crowd at our First Anniversary


The food table is always popular. Photo taken at our first anniversary in November 2005.


Retired Police Officers Cortez Day, Richard Owen and Harvey Whitehouse in 2005.


(L-R) Kathy Hume, Bob Sanders, Jerri and Steve Varney and David Hume.


(L-R) Becky Riffe, Steve Ferrell, Retired Sergeant David Riffe and Bob Sanders.










Let’s Check Out The Museum as it used to be: 


In the center of the 1950′s room was a tribute to many of the African American Public Safety Officers who were considered trailblazers in their Departments.

1800′s to 1930′s room.


The 1960-1970′s room.


The 1940′s and 1950′s Room.

A Few Spotlights:

We have so many photos that to share them would diminish the impact of the exhibits once we reopen.  Allow us to share a few spotlighted items from each era.


A typewriter from the 1930′s.



Remember “Emergency?” Squad 51 wasn’t the only unit that had an EKG, and defibrillator telemetry unit.


A hose cart from the early 20th Century used at the Vaughn Tobacco Warehouse. This was private equipment.


An Alarm Telegraph Box donated by Max Hellmueller.


Keys from the Clark Street Jail. Donated by Betty Forbes Hoopes and Pat Spencer.


A fire scene from the 1930′s


President Eisenhower and LPD Chief E.C. Hale in 1954.


Decades of communications equipment



Lexington Police Officers in the 1950′s


Lexington Fire Department Lieutenant Paul Mitchell in the Fire Alarm Room in the 1970′s. Mitchell had service with Fayette County Police until the Lexington and Fayette County merger when he moved to the fire dept. He also has a very long history with KY Emergency Management. As a volunteer he has created and supported many amateur radio and National Weather Service Skywarn organizations that still serve our and other communities today.



If you have seen this painting, you must be an insider.


Handmade leather chair donated by Lexington Furniture to honor New York Firefighters lost on 9/11.


“Americat” in the Fallen Heroes Room honors those Public Safety Officers who died in the September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attacks. It was created by Sgt. Hunter Faulconer..


Fallen Heroes Room.

 In Closing: 


This sign that used to grace the sidewalk on Short Street outside of the main entrance to the Museum. We will be quite pleased when we find a new home to place it.

Comments are closed.